Mascara is an incredible makeup product and the most important part of a typical makeup routine. It is applied on the eyelashes to make them more defined, longer, thicker and darker. While it enhances your entire makeup look for the day, there is no doubt that mascara is harmful for your eyelashes. It causes them to become dry, brittle stiff and even leads to lash loss over prolonged use. This is why it is very important to get every bit of mascara out of your lashes as soon as you sit down to remove your makeup at the end of the day.
Usually, people turn to the convenient makeup removers that get rid of your face makeup in an instant. After a long day of a full face of makeup, they allow you to remove all of the gunk off your face with only a few swipes.
But no matter how convenient makeup removers are, they are very harmful for the skin. A makeup remover consists of various active ingredients that can dry out or irritate your skin. High concentrations of emulsifiers, surfactants and solubilizers in these makeup removers are extremely damaging for the skin and must be avoided as much as possible. Makeup removers are undoubtedly the best creation for any make-up lover, but in the long run, they can be your worst enemy.
Some Useful Alternatives to Remove Mascara
Luckily, there are numerous alternatives to these typical drying makeup removers that will help you remove your mascara efficiently.
If you are someone who is used to convenient makeup removing wipes, this may be the best option for you. Baby wipes are gentler on the skin as they lack the harmful ingredients that are used in a typical makeup remover. They make makeup removal quick, easy, and efficient. You can even take them anywhere with you without having to carry a large bag. All you have to do is grab a baby wipe and gently rub it over the mascara in circular motions. Once you are sure that all the product is gone, you can stop rubbing and throw away the cloth.
Milk or Yoghurt:
These are the best natural ingredients that will remove your makeup while hydrating and nourishing your skin. Dairy products are known to effectively remove mascara, eyeliner or any eye makeup without damaging the skin. You will need a cotton ball and some milk or plain yoghurt.
- Take the milk or yogurt into a bowl and dip the cotton ball into it
- Swipe the cotton pad across the eye, making sure to be very gentle
- Continue swiping until all of the mascara is removed
- Rinse your face with lukewarm water and lightly pat to dry.
Vaseline/ Petroleum Jelly
Petroleum jelly is something that almost every makeup owner has. This affordable and hydrating product will raise the bar for any other makeup removing method. It will efficiently remove your mascara, getting out every single spot while simultaneously nourishing your lashes and making them thicker. It is the most affordable and healthiest way to effectively get rid of your makeup.
- Dab some Vaseline on a cotton bud or swab
- Rub the cotton bud on your lashes and along the lash line to get every bit of mascara
- Use a clean washcloth or cotton pad to wipe the Vaseline away
- Rinse your face with lukewarm water.
Aloe Vera Gel:
Aloe vera gel is a well-known skin care product but it can also substitute for a good makeup remover. It will add hydration to your skin and prevent you from breaking out. If you have an aloe vera gel, or even a plant sitting in your house, then here is the perfect use for it. It can act as the perfect mascara remover without causing any damage to your face.
- Take some aloe vera gel on a cotton bud or the tip of your finger
- Gently rub it along your lash line and over your eyelashes
- Move it up your eyelashes to get every bit of the mascara out
- Once you are done, take some more aloe vera on another cotton bud and repeat the process
- Now, you can rinse out your face or leave it with the aloe vera on.
For Waterproof Mascara:
Waterproof mascara is considered one of the best creations in the makeup world. However, waterproof products are much harder to remove than normal ones. They require intense ingredients to be broken down, so nothing is better than a few hydrating and nourishing oils. They are the most effective ingredients for breaking down waterproof mascara without causing any harm to the eyelash. Instead, they further add moisture to the lashes, which is very beneficial after applying some drying waterproof mascara. Here are a few oils and methods to remove waterproof mascara.
Coconut oil is essential for various tasks such as cleaning, cooking and other household chores. It is no surprise that they play a vital role in the makeup industry too. It can remove even the most stubborn spots of makeup and are a really good product for any type of skincare. They cleanse your skin without drying it out and add nourishment for thicker and better eyelashes.
- Take some coconut oil in a spoon and heat it up till it becomes a liquid
- Now, you can either rub it in a cotton pad or simply take some on your finger
- Rub the coconut oil on your eyelashes very gently while keeping your eyes closed. Make sure that none of it gets inside your eye
- Wait for a few seconds so that the mascara can fully dissolve
- Now, wipe away the mascara with a clean washcloth and rinse your face with lukewarm water.
Baby oil is meant to be very gentle for the skin and is most suitable for sensitive skin. It adds hydration and moisture while nourishing the skin and keeping it soft and bouncy. It is the perfect product for removing waterproof mascara as it will prevent your lashes from drying out.
- Take some cotton oil onto a cotton pad or even just on your fingers.
- Gently rub it over your eyelashes, being cautious not to tug too hard otherwise your lashes will fall out
- Keep your eyes closed during this process so that none of it goes inside your eye
- Wipe your eyes with a clean cotton pad or cloth to get the residue out
- Rinse your face with some water and you are good to go!
Wrap Up This Here.
These are the perfect home remedies to remove mascara without using a makeup remover. They are all affordable and easy ways to effectively get rid of every single spot of makeup without damaging your skin. Try out different methods and figure out which one is most suitable for you. it is important to test different ingredients before using them first so that you can see if you are allergic to any. So make sure to do a small patch test on your hand before using it on your lashes. Remove all your makeup without any toxic ingredients and have healthy skin no matter how much makeup you wear.